Monday, April 1, 2013

I am not an overachiever.

I feel like this post is coming off a little like a rant, and that is not my intention. However, this is a topic I feel quite passionately about and this post is the result of those feelings.

Tonight at FHE I was called an overachiever by one of the adult men. This was not meant as an insult of course, but rather as a description of why I'm probably intimidating to guys. Please note, we were not discussing guys or my dating life when he said this, it was just something that came into his mind, so he said it. Also, to help give some context, I did walk straight up to the adults to join in their conversation. But let's face it, in a lot of ways I have more in common with the grown adults/leaders then with some of the other people in my ward. While my college days were some of the best times of my life, that's just not my reality anymore. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE reminiscing about my college years with my friends who were there with me on those adventures. But at this point in life I don't want to live in the past. I want to live in the present and work for my future. So, back to the comment. Not typically one to keep quiet about something so grossly misstated about myself, I quickly corrected this man and told him that I was not an overachiever. I did not graduate from high school or college early. Sure, I graduated from college with my bachelor's and master's degree in a total of 5 years, but that wasn't rare. That was just how the program I was in was designed. I didn't take any shortcuts. And after college I started working full time in my career which, with some twists and turns, brought me to where I am today. Again, I emphasize, no shortcuts. When I corrected this man and said "I am not an overachiever" I provide the correct description of "I am an achiever". I don't care about being the first, or the best, or whatever. I have an idea of what I want for my life and I try to make choices that will get me where I want to be. That is all. I recognize that this way of thinking is not for everyone and that's great. And please don't misinterpret this to mean that if you didn't take the same steps I did that I believe you are an underachiever. I do not think or feel that way. We all have different paths and different goals we want to achieve. I just hate when society acts like progression without massive setbacks or delays is a rarity. I am not an exception. I'm just trying to make a good life for myself and doing what I feel I need to in order for that to happen.

Walking down my path does not make me an overachiever. I'm simply trying to achieve my goals as I'm working to get to where I want to end up. So here I am - just walking along, trying to find someone I want to walk along with, and hoping I don't trip as I'm looking out at the scenery.

Rant (and imagery) over.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Like this. "I am an achiever." So true.