Monday, January 25, 2016

I just realized it’s the 25th

For almost the last year and a half the 25th of each month has stood out to me. It was a reminder that another month had passed without my dad in it. Each month the day brought with it flashbacks of that sad and solemn morning on August 25th, 2014 when my mom, siblings, and I surrounded my dad laying in his bed as he silently and calmly passed away. For months I wondered if I would ever get those flashbacks out of my head. If I would ever be able to think about my dad without seeing those final moments play out over and over again.

Just now, I was sitting at my desk at work when I looked down and noticed the date. It’s the 25th. There have now been 17 months without my dad here. I am surprised and grateful to know that time does help the healing process. While I may think of my dad more on this date, it doesn't seem to carry the same black cloud over it that it once did. I’m sure the actual anniversary date will be a different story, but for today, I’m grateful that it just feels like another day.

Instead of thinking about that last morning with my dad I’m going to think about all the times he drove me to deliver papers in the early morning when I was a little kid with a paper route. He would lay the back of his station wagon down and drive slowly around my paper route so I could either throw the papers on the various driveways while sitting on the back of the car or hop on and off if I needed to get closer to the house. He was just the best.

Miss you always Dad. <3 o:p="">

No comments: