Friday, October 2, 2009

Farewell Steeds

I'm warning you right now that this is not your typical blog post. It's kind of a more serious side of me but something I felt others should or would maybe want to see.

For the last few years (I'm a slow reader) I've been moderately (or compulsively) obsessed with The Work & The Glory series. Well finally after probably about 4 years or so since I first started reading this 9 volume series I actually finished it tonight. I couldn't have finished at a more perfect time. The series ends with the family finally reunited in the Salt Lake Valley and they are remembering their past trials and looking forward to a bright future without the worry of constant persecutions. At the very end of the series one of the main characters was kind of wrapping things up and talking to the whole family now filled with the original Steed family plus spouses, children, grandchildren, and even a great grandchild. He was saying how even though they had finally reached the Salt Lake Valley it feels very similar to their time at Winter Quarters, but then he goes on to express one way it was very different. He looks around the family circle, focusing especially on the younger children and babies, and says,

"These children will never know a Far West, a Haun's Mill, a Carthage Jail. They may go to bed hungry this winter, but they will not go to bed afraid."

After reading this book and reading about these horrific events in Church history I feel so grateful for the sacrifice of those who did go through such things. I'm grateful for their faith and strength that help them through those early days and help bring them here to Salt Lake. After that statement the character goes on to say,

"The Valley represents much more than that, though. Like Israel of old, we have come through the wilderness and entered a land of promise. Not a promise of milk and honey - though I suspect those shall come too - but a promise of renewal, of growth, of vision - of Zion. Think of this. Our children will raise up children who have never known any life but life in this valley. Think of that and rejoice."

Ending this book the night before the 179th Semiannual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints starts was perfect timing. I am so looking forward to being able to hear from the Lord's Prophet and Apostles tomorrow. As I've come to learn more about the history behind the Church I can't help but be amazed by the sacrifices and all the difficulties that people went through and the faith they had to persevere. They made a barren and destitute valley into a valley full of life and faith. I was invited to go up and see the afternoon session of General Conference in the Conference Center tomorrow and I can't wait to have another opportunity to be a part of something that was started to long ago and see what it has been able to grow into and then think about all the possibilities for the future. I feel very lucky to be a part of something and that has meant so much to people who came before and that will continue to spread around the world. And I'm wondering what my contribution to this giant puzzle will be. I guess we will see in time.

No comments: