Tuesday, March 7, 2017

My 1st Dance Studio

As a kid I had one dream job… I wanted to own my own dance team/company. For a lot of years that’s what I was set on doing. (And then I became a tax accountant. Adult me really screwed over childhood me. :P)

I grew up dancing from preschool to ninth grade. I danced with a group called Super Steppers Jr. Drill Team – nicknamed Stupid Stompers by many. :) Joking aside, it actually was a great group to be a part of. I had the chance to perform all over – highlights included UNLV games, NBA pre-game performances, during the Olympics in SLC, and at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii. And I was in more parades than I can count (which is why I try to avoid parades completely as an adult). And then in high school my love of dance evolved as I was a cheerleader for those 3 years.

One of the things I’ve missed the most since “becoming an adult” was dancing and performing. So after seeing the Rockettes perform in NYC this past December I got super inspired to revisit my first love. In January I started taking a weekly tap dance class and it’s safe to say I’m obsessed with it. It’s my favorite hour of each week. We have a performance coming up in a few months and I’m not gonna lie, I’m really looking forward to performing again. Granted I’m no amazing dancer. I’m decent and will get even better with more practice. But what I really excel in is learning a routine. That’s always been a strength of mine and one I’m happy I didn’t lose after so many years of not using that skill. But, how should I say…. I don’t look quite as cute performing as I did when I was a skinny (skinnier) little kid/teenager. I can still get the job done, it just takes a bit more effort these days. So I’m still working on making it look more appealing for the audience. But that’s ok. The enjoyment I get is still the same. Haha

All of this is to say, that I finally did it – I opened up my 1st dance studio!! And while technically it’s just for me and it’s located in one of the spare bedrooms in my house, I LOVE IT! :) I went in there last night and ran through my tap routine a few times before bed. It’s my favorite room in my house and one I definitely need to spend more time in. I posted some pics below! One of the best features is the tv hookup for my phone so I can put the video of my teacher doing the routine up on the tv in case I need a refresher on any of the steps and so I can get my taps in sync with hers. I’m just renting my current house, but you can rest assured that the next house I buy will include a room perfect for this purpose and hopefully even bigger so I can expand the dance floor and have more room to do the routine full out without having to shorten steps! Anyways, dance on, childhood me. Dance on.









No comments: