Thursday, July 10, 2008

Can boys and girls really just be friends?

Some of you who know me know that I love the series Sex and the City (TBS version, not the HBO one, and trust me there's a huge difference) Anways sometimes when I start writing on my blog I feel like Carrie Bradshaw writing an article. If only I could have her shoes and clothes, ok her entire closet!

Anyways as I was laying out at the pool today I was thinking about the whole guy/girl dynamic and wondering if it is really possible for guys and girls to remain really good friends for an extended period of time without things becoming complicated or weird. Let me explain...

Depending on if you are in a relationship with someone or are merely friends responses to situations should differ, but what happens when that line between friendship and relationship blurs. If people are imitating one does that conflict with what they really are. Here's an example:

How do - or should - you react if you've talked to this person everyday for a while and then all of the sudden they aren't contacting you as they were:
  • Relationship - You start questioning if this is the beginning of the end and if you want to fight for it call and try to figure things out, hold out and play the ever so annoying games and hope they call you, or just let it fade out and look for something new.
  • Friendship - Realize that since you are just friends you don't owe each other contact on a consistent basis, regular hopefully, but consistent is not required for friends. And if you are just friends then if you want to hang out with them, it's simple.... call them yourself.
There are so many other situations where reactions vary and yet somehow people - me especially - seem to always find myself confused about the situations I find myself in.

Usually my philosophy when it comes to guy/girl relationships is simple, who cares. Eventually most guy/girl friendships will end or fade considerably as either one or both get married. So why do we spend so much time worry about these kinds of topics? maybe just to keep us entertained until something real starts happening. Whatever the case, it does make for so interesting introspective.

1 comment:

Robert Sullivan said...

This is my theory on the guy/girl friendship/relationship ordeal. If a guy and girl can be friends, that's awesome. I think it's the best type of friendship. You can both talk about anything together and it's always awesome to have the perspective of the opposite sex. But what's especially awesome about this deal is that being friends usually leads to other things. That's what happened with me and Robert. We were friends first which made being in a relationship even more awesome. So you find that best guy friend, Genna!