Wednesday, April 6, 2016

TV Time

Ok, I caved. Let’s talk TV. I miss talking with my usual people about the TV shows we watch, so I guess writing down my own commentary will have to suffice. 

Now, as a disclaimer, as I go through the various shows I watch, I want you to remember a few things before you judge too harshly how I spend (aka waste) my time. #1: I am completely single, which means I have no one who depends on me and requires my time. So, if I want to watch 4+ hours of TV after work I can without ignoring someone who needs me. #2: I almost never actually just sit there and watch TV. I am a constant multi-tasker with restless hands so I have to keep them busy either playing on my iPad, eating dinner, folding clothes, washing dishes, or something else along those lines. So I’m not just literally sitting on the couch just staring at the TV all night. It’s on while I’m doing other stuff. Which sometimes means I have to rewind important parts I wasn’t paying enough attention to, but it works. #3: I love sleeping, but I hate going to bed. So I tend to procrastinate going to bed at night and a great way to do that is by watching another episode of something. And then another. And then another. And voilà a whole season has been caught up on. #4: I enjoy it. I find TV interesting and relaxing and it takes less effort than reading. J

So, although I don’t actually think I have to justify my TV time, I just did. :P

Now, on to the good stuff….

*Parks and Recreation: I tried watching this on Netflix a few years ago and just couldn’t get into it. I didn’t understand what all the hype was about. I didn’t find the characters charming or funny at all. I just didn’t get it. BUT, recently I decided to give it another shot AND I LOVE IT. Admittedly the first season wasn’t that great. But, now that I’ve stuck with it a few season, I love this show. It makes me laugh pretty hard. I love Ron Swanson and Andy, of course. Ron with the shaved mustache was quite possibly the creepiest thing ever. I just love Andy. And all I can say is Leslie and Ben forever (although there’s still a number of seasons to go, so I’m kind of anticipating they won’t last which is super tragic. Nobody tell me what happens with them please!) 

*The Family: Oh my gosh… this show is SO GOOD! Every week you’re just sitting there guessing about what the truth is and who did what. It’s the craziest thing. You trust one of the characters for a little bit and then all the sudden you’re blaming them for everything. And this past episode left on such an intense note, I can’t wait to see what happens next week!

*The Catch: It is a little weird seeing “Adam Braverman” in this role, but I really like this show so far. I keep finding myself wanting to be an 80s/Twiggy-inspired, red head like the main character. It’ll be interesting to see if they can continue the intrigue of the first few episodes throughout the rest of the season.

*Broad City: Now, I must confess… this is a show that for most people I would not recommend. Mostly because it is kind of filthy. And trashy. It airs on Comedy Central and has everything you’d expect from a Comedy Central show – lots of swearing, drug use, and sex. No nudity or anything like that, but even the very first scene is racy once you realize what’s going on. But all that being said, I love this show. Mostly because I really enjoy watching shows of people who live completely differently than I do – which this show is to a T. The main characters are crazy and weird and very New York to me. I love it. But again, not for the prudish or those trying to not watch trashy shows. Haha which technically I am both, but clearly I make an exception for this show.

*The People vs. OJ Simpson: Ahhh this show is so frustrating! It’s beyond ridiculous to see how much evidence they had against OJ – legit, fact based, evidence – and he was acquitted. It blows my mind. His defense team was deplorable. They completely bs’d their entire case and showed exactly what’s wrong with our legal system. The defense did nothing to combat the proof that was had against OJ, but rather it was all about shifting the focus and making the case into something it wasn’t. Ugh, so annoying!! But, the show itself is really good. And I feel for Marcia Clark. She is the epitome of a women trying to make it in a man’s world. And the different attacks on her just show why it can be so much harder for women to succeed in their careers. It pisses me off. But again, I highly recommend this show. The only thing I'm left wondering about is what OJ and Nicole's 2 kids think of what happened. And what kind of relationship do they have with their father/the man who killed their mom. It would be interesting to hear from them, but (obviously) I completely understand why they aren't in the spotlight. I wouldn't want to relive what actually happened to their mom over and over again if I were them either. 

*The Real Housewives of Potomac: These women are crazy. I’m not sure that needs to be said as it is a general characteristic of most women on these shows, but they definitely have their own brand of crazy. Who are they trying to impress with all these bogus manners they seem obsessed with?! Relax ladies. You may live in a nice area in Maryland, but you’re not royalty. My biggest irritation with this group of ladies is their obsession with race. They constantly get after the girls who are biracial and essentially making them choose which race they are. Obviously they’re more than one – why the freak would they have to pick one and ignore the other. It really irritates me that Gizelle and Robyn are constantly getting after Katie for “not being black enough” when they are the ones with bleached blonde hair. They realize that’s not a natural hair color for African American’s right? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have any issues with whatever hair color they want (I also am a fake blonde), but it just seems to add another layer to their hypocrisy. Now Karen. I can’t with her. She is so high and mighty it’s insane! I think my favorite is how pissed off she got at Ashley’s beach house when Ashley’s husband showed up because she was uncomfortable with him seeing her in her skimpy night-ware. Haha Have you seen his wife? I think you’re safe from being ogled Ursula, I mean Karen. And the best part is when Karen and her husband confronted Ashley and Michael about this situation she was in a short skirt and super tight top. What was she planning to walk around the beach house in? Something sheer? That’s about the only thing that could be more scandalous than anything else she wears. So, like I said initially, these women are crazy. Which is exactly why I watch this show. Too soon to pick a favorite.

*The Real Housewives of Atlanta: These women are just straight up mean and two faced. As they would say, they are throwing shade all day! Obviously Kandi is my favorite. She seems the most normal and chemically balanced even though she’s been famous for decades and has had crazy stuff happen in her life. I also love Sheree, because she says some funny stuff. Porsha is the worst. She is so bitter about her sister having a baby and still comes off as a boy-crazy teenager throwing her body at any guy who looks her way. Don’t hate me, but I do kind of like Kenya. I know, I know. Her big mouth says some dumb stuff some times and she doesn’t handle situations well, but I do think she is a decent person. And I really like her and her bf Matt. I think he’s good for her. He seems to mellow her out a bit. Nene’s big head needs to deflate. Phaedra. Phaedra. Phaedra. She says some funny stuff sometimes (like her animal roar butt roll thing at the beach) but it’s only when she’s not pretending to be so fancy. I really wanted to like Kim, but I just didn’t. At all. She’s just not right for this show. I’m also not a big Cynthia fan. I want to like her because she does seem like a nice person, but I just don’t. Plus I just feel like she needs to take a break from the show and deal with the very apparent issues in her marriage. Right now I’m totally bummed because I missed the last two reunion episodes because they aren’t streaming online and I no longer have cable. It totally sucks, but maybe they’ll be on Hulu in like two years and I can watch it then. :P

*The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: Half these women I love. Half I can’t stand. Can you guess who falls on which side? Haha Who I like: Erika, Eileen, and Yolanda. Who I don’t like: Lisa V, Lisa R, Kyle, & Kathryn. I like Erika, Eileen and Yolanda because they seem the most real. They aren’t afraid to call people out on their crap, don’t hesitate to stand up for themselves (typically), and don’t care to suck up to other people on the cast. And of course, Erika is crazy, but she’s awesome. Her life is very interesting and very different, but she genuinely seems like a good person who cares about people and stands up for her friends. Ok, now the ladies that bug me. We’ll start with the newbie, Kathryn. She is the epitome of girls who say they don’t have a lot of female friends. There’s a reason for that. And it’s obvious. It’s because you’re not a good friend to girls. She’s just kind of a jerk who talks over people and is totally two-faced (i.e. her total betrayal of Erika’s friendship which she said she wanted). Although I do think (or hope at least) that her new hearing aids will help the talking loud/over people problem. Lisa R is like a whipped puppy that just keeps going back for more. Because she has a weaker personality she is just bounced back and forth between the more assertive women and always complaining about being the whipping boy. Also she is so money and fame obsessed it’s gross. She only like Lisa V because she’s rich and well to do. So, let’s move on to Lisa V. She used to be my absolute favorite, but I think as the years have gone on her ego has just grown and grown and grown. She does still have moments of fun where I see glimpses of the person I liked initially, but she does cause a lot of drama by stirring crap up and saying dumb/rude things to the other women. And then of course not taking accountability for her actions. I don’t actually think she does it because she’s a bad person (or at least I hope note), I think she’s doing it purposefully in order to keep the show interesting. But it still makes me not like her very much. Honestly I don’t know why I don’t like Kyle. Maybe she’s just too much of a floater for me. She does seem very immature, especially when she and Lisa V are together, which I can’t stand. Anyways, their trip to Dubai looked AMAZING! And I love the fish room Eileen stayed in. Definitely my favorite room. 

*Nashville: I have a love/hate relationship with Nashville. I have a hard time watching good people make terrible choices which happens with this show all the time. I love that Deacon and Rayne are finally happy and together, but we all know that won’t last long. And I cannot be the only one getting the lesbian vibe from Maddie’s new friend right? It’s so weird! Plus I hate that the sisters aren’t bffs anymore. Gunner and Scarlett will be back together soon enough which is what we all want. But really I just can’t wait for Juliette to get back. I really did like her and Avery together. And who knows what the freak is about to happen with Layla. Also, I almost feel bad for Luke these days. Sure he was a douche and he and Rayne weren’t right for each other (because, hello, Deacon) but enough is enough. Throw the poor guy a bone here. They just need to come clean with the whole Jeff saga so he can fix things with his son. 

*Empire: I still can’t get over the fact that Andre and Anika are a real life engaged couple. That girl has been with every straight guy in the Lyon family (ok, two were fake, but she still made out with them!). I can’t wait for Cookie and Lucius to take over everything together. And things will not end well for Hakeem and his no-longer-a-virgin gf. I predict she gets knocked up from their first time together. And then que Anika to go crazy on her like she did poor Rhonda. Oh man, I can’t wait for Rhonda to get her memory back of the accident and figure out what happened. I predict Anika will wear those shoes again and that will cause Rhonda’s memory to come back! And then beware Anika!

*Chicago PD: Not too much to say here besides I really like this show. The guys are hot, the story lines are interesting, and the girls don’t act like wusses. But seriously, can we just talk about how hot Atwater & Ruzek are. I’ll take them both. J And of course I love Erin and Jay together. I’m hoping that since their relationship is super low-key that maybe they’ll be able to keep it going longer than most TV relationships last. Fingers crossed.

*Scandal: Ugh, another love/hate show. Everyone is so corrupt. There’s just so much staring at each without dialog. This is one show that is potentially on the verge of being cut from my line-up. Although I will say, I do like all this election stuff. #teamSusan Oh, and I hate that Edison got mixed up with Olivia’s father. And although I liked David and Susan together, I’m going to need him and Red to get back together at some point.

*Grey’s Anatomy: This is another “eh” one here of late. I want to keep liking it, but it’s not easy to. I’m not loving the new guy they brought in for Meredith. I thought after the whole incident with Meredith getting the crap beat out of her they were setting it up for her and Alex to finally be together. Which I am totally for! His relationship with Jo, while I loved it for a long time, has fizzled. He’s way more committed to Meredith than he’ll ever be to Jo. And I hope Pierce and her bf stay together. I really like them as a couple. Stop having another guy freak out because his gf makes more money and has more power in her career than him. I hate Amelia. And Owen for that matter. Other characters I hate include April, Arizona, and Torre’s girlfriend. Boring characters, stupid storylines. Let’s just kill them off already. And April is ruining Jackson’s hotness. She needs to go and he needs to glow. Lol Also, all these characters seem WAY too unstable to be the top of their field surgeons. I’m not buying it.

*Shades of Blue: I LOVE this show. JLO is the bomb! How is she so good at everything while still being Jenny from the block. #neverchange There are some funky twists and turns that you don’t see coming, but it’s all so interesting. And you keep going back and forth about whose side you’re on. Now that I’m thinking about it, I really hope last week wasn’t the season finale. It totally could have been because it was that good and it ended on such an intense note, but I really hope it wasn’t! 

*The Ranch (on Netflix): This show is interesting enough. Let’s be honest, I’m mostly just watching it to see Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson act together again. It’s interesting enough to keep me watching it, but not SO good that I binged watched it in a day like plenty of other shows.  

*That 70’s Show: I just love this show. I fall asleep to it every night (thank you sleep timer). It is just really funny. If you have never watched it, you need to. And if you haven’t watched it in a while you should watch it again. Good stuff! I said good stuff. 

And now I have officially written WAY too much about TV. Lol I am just the coolest person ever. I know it. And now you know it too. :P To be fair, I have cut out a number of shows I used to love to make room for the new ones I added - i.e. Modern Family, Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, How to Get Away with Murder, Jane the Virgin, and probably a few more that I can’t think of off the top of my head. And all of this without paying for actual TV. Thank you Hulu and Netflix!

*I'd love to hear if you agree with my thoughts on these shows or if there's anything I should add to my line-up! Feel free to comment below. :)

No comments: