Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Challenge Update & Other Thoughts

First I want to give a quick update on how the first two days of my 30 day challenge (see earlier post) have gone.

Honestly it’s been great so far. I was kind of scared the first night. I mean, I “knew” it would work, but I wondered how long it might take me to feel like I got an answer. And I think maybe Heavenly Father knew that and decided to help me out a bit, because my first night I got my answer basically right away. And it was interesting because I kept reading after I felt like I got my answer (because it had happened so quickly) but the more I read the less I felt like I was feeling the spirit. And I didn’t really feel like I was being directed in my reading any more. When I texted my friend about this she responded that this will also be an interesting learning experience to help us better understand how the spirit speaks to us. And I think she is very right. 

Now, last night was quite opposite. For a few different reasons. First off I didn’t want to go “too hard” with my question on day 2 – maybe day 29 and 30, but not day 2. So even though I had had one thing on the brain for the last few days, I asked a more watered down version of my question. And guess what… I got my answer to that question. And again it came quicker than I anticipated. But, unlike day 1, I didn’t feel done. So I kept reading. And what came next made me instantly start crying as the Holy Ghost directed me to answers for the question I was too nervous to ask. It was a very special experience. And although I’m still not positive about the action I should or should not take, I do feel like my mind was able to clear. The thoughts swirling around in my head have settled down a bit. I feel a renewed/greater sense of trust in my Father in Heaven and His plan for me and my life as well as the trust He puts in me to make good decisions.

So, it’s safe to say that after 2 days of this challenge it is already shaping up to be a great boost in my life.

Now on to some other thoughts…

In an order to procrastinate getting out of bed in the morning, I (like most people I presume) tend to grab my phone and open Facebook and Instagram to see all the exciting things I missed since I last checked it 6-7 hours earlier right before I went to sleep. Well this morning when I did that I stumbled across an article that I felt resonated with me. The article is called “Why Millennial Women Are Burning Out”. Interesting right? I don’t necessarily feel like I’m “burning out”, but I do feel like I don’t know if I want to do what I’m currently doing for the rest of my career/life. So I definitely felt like this article applies to me. And one thing the article said really stood out it me. In speaking of these millennial women that burn out it said,

“They don’t know what they are striving for, which makes it really hard to move forward."

Yep, that sounds about right. I mean, I’m still moving forward (I think. Ok, I hope.), but I don’t really know what for. Do I see myself doing what I’m doing for the rest of my life and being “happy enough” with it? That’s the million dollar question at the moment. Anyways I thought it was an interesting read.
 
Another interesting thing I stumbled across yesterday was from an article called “3 qualities of successful Ph.D. students: Perseverance,tenacity and cogency”. As I was going along reading this article I chuckled a little when I came across this suggestion,

“I recommend that new students start a blog. Even if no one else reads it, start one. You don't even have to write about your research. Practicing the act of writing is all that matters.”

Interesting timing right? J I thought so at least. 
 
Who knows what the future will bring. Hopefully I will get even more clarity on what to do – either to make a change or to keep on the current path. Until that happens there are plenty of the normal daily challenges to fill my time and thoughts. And if I run out of that, there’s always Netflix. J

 

No comments: