Thursday, March 24, 2016

Not a club you want to join

I dealt with death numerous times growing up - including the loss of family members.

My maternal grandmother died right after my parents starting dating. My maternal grandfather died the month after I was born. My paternal grandfather died when I was 4. And my paternal grandmother died when I was 15. I’d experienced death.  

But losing my dad in 2014 was something else entirely.

It wasn’t just losing someone I had sporadic interaction with. It was losing a key player in my life. Someone who was supposed to be an integral part of events still to come. And it’s been the hardest thing I’ve ever dealt with.

Back in college, when my dad was first diagnosed with cancer, I had a few friends who had lost their fathers by that point. I relied on those friends so much during that time. Whenever I had questions or fears I talked to them. I pulled from their strength.

And then I became a member of that awful club. The dead dad club.

I learned very quickly that one thing you gain by becoming a member of this club is a level of empathy that you can’t gain any other way. And while everyone experiences and deals with death and grief differently, there is a level of commonality I’ve noted between those affected with the death of a key player. Whether it’s similarities between things that happened in those final days, how you’ve felt immediately after versus once a few months have passed, or how it still continues to impact you as the years pass by. We know. We’ve lived and continue to live it.

Last night I learned that a friend I’ve known since high school passed away yesterday. I am just stunned by this news. And I am having a really hard time understanding why. I know life isn’t fair, but this situation seems extra unfair. She was the nicest person. And that’s not an in memoriam blanket statement. She was genuinely one of the nicest people you could meet. In high school she was actually a friend of one of my close friends, but when I moved back to St. George in 2012 we lived in the same complex and because of that mutual friend, her and I developed a friendship that I will always be grateful for. I was worried about being back in St. George and not having friends, and here came Mallory and squashed all those worries. She recently celebrated her one year wedding anniversary with a guy that, although I never met him I knew, she loved more than anything. She was so happy with him. And just within the last 3 weeks she gave birth to their first child – a beautiful little girl. So why her? Why this girl who waited so long to find love, had finally found it, was just starting her family? It’s just so upsetting. And having a slight idea of what her family is dealing with right now my heart breaks for them. Her poor husband, left to raise their little girl without her mom. Her family, including a twin brother, left to try and pick up the pieces.

It’s at times like this my faith is truly tested. I do believe in a loving God, but I struggle when things like this happen. I try to understand that one day we will look back on the struggles of this life and think they weren’t that big of a deal (similar to how as adults we laugh at the “struggles” of childhood). But for now, my heart is sadden by the loss of this amazing person and for the loved ones left behind.

#miraclesforMal

No comments: