Wednesday, March 2, 2016

One on One

Disclaimer: This post is kinda lame. I felt that way as I was writing it and even now as I'm about to post this, but it's been on my mind the last little bit so here it is....
 

As I’ve gotten older I’ve noticed I tend to spend more time one on one with friends versus getting big groups together. On a typical weekend I’ll make plans with 1 friend or another, but rarely do I try getting multiple people together. Recently I’ve been thinking about it because I sometimes wonder if I hurt people’s feelings by not inviting them to do stuff with me and other people. Which is never my intention.  

I am all about true friendships. If I only had one friend, as long as they were a real/true friend, that would be enough for me. And typically throughout the different phases of my life I have a few REALLY good friends and then a handful of more causal friends. That’s not to say I don’t value and enjoy spending time with my more casual friends. I definitely do. But I feel like I get (and therefore tend to give) more to my really close friendships. We have deeper/more honest conversations. I trust them with the good and bad aspects of my life and personality. I can be myself around them. And what I have noticed is that these true/deep conversations seem to happen more on a one to one basis. And I think it’s for that reason that I tend to like to hang out one on one with people.

Don’t get me wrong, big groups can be fun too. It’s nice not having to be such an integral part of the conversation sometimes. And you can get different opinions/thoughts at the same time (i.e. when my friends and I get together to watch The Bachelor). So there definitely are nice aspects to getting groups together – obviously.

I guess the point of this post is that if we’re friends and you hear me talk about going to dinner or hanging out with someone and not inviting you, don’t be upset. It’s not because I don’t like you or want to hang out with you. And if you want to hang out in a bigger group, you can organize it and invite me. :P

No comments: